Thursday, May 21, 2009

I love this job, by Ryan Brenizer



Some direct quotes from his post that hit home for me...

"But I really love documenting weddings. Spending so many days with people at one of the happiest, craziest days of their lives? Seeing this bliss-plus-stress bring out everyone's personality to the umpteenth degree? It's hard not to spend much of my time eagerly awaiting going to work.

I love the parts of the day that many people would find too stressful to cope with. You start each day with zero pictures. Zero pictures is heartbreak, bitter recriminations, and a failure of duty. Getting from there to the end of the night, capturing such an important day in a thorough, interesting, and beautiful way? It takes everything you have, all day. I love that."

"Couples ask me a lot, almost sheepishly, "Is it OK if we just want some pictures with groups of family together? It doesn't have to be artsy or anything …" It's more than OK -- I very strongly encourage it. I know lots of photographers see this part of the day as "something to get through," but this is important stuff. Family members who haven't seen each other in years? Important. Getting as many guests as possible, people who you wanted to share your day with you (and paid not-inconsiderable sums for the privilege)? Important."

No comments: